BpForms comes with six alphabets:
- Canonical DNA: The four canonical DNA nucleobases.
- Canonical RNA: The four canonical RNA nucleosides.
- Canonical protein: The 20 canonical protein residues.
- DNA: The four canonical DNA nucleobases, plus the non-canonical DNA nucleobases in DNAmod.
- RNA: The four canonical RNA nucleosides, plus the non-canonical RNA nucleosides in MODOMICS.
- Protein: The 20 canonical protein residues, plus the non-canonical protein residues in RESID.
3.1. Building additional alphabets¶
Users can also create additional alphabets by creating additional instances of
bpforms.Alphabet. Users can either add monomers programmatically or load them from YAML files. Users can add monomers programmatically by creating instances of
bpforms.Monomer and adding them to the
monomers attribute of
bpforms.Alphabet, which is a dictionary that maps the character codes of monomers to monomers. Users can load monomers from YAML files by using the
from_yaml method of
bpforms.Alphabet. Please see bpforms/alphabet/dna.yml for an example of the YAML alphabet format.